Starship Troopers film universe[edit | edit source]
|The only good Bug is a dead Bug!|
The Arachnids were originally believed to be mindless creatures. When Johnny Rico and Carmen Ibanez dissect Arkellian sand beetles, the biology teacher states that the Arachnids have millions of years of evolution behind them and are, in the case of survival capability, the perfect species. They have the ability to colonize planets "by hurling their spore into space" and possess a social structure which fits their mental capabilities.
As the Arachnid War progressed, it became clear that they have a caste system, with each subspecies filling a specific role. Brain Bugs and God Bug have extreme psychic abilities that can be used to control all bugs in the colony.
History[edit | edit source]
As the United Citizen Federation expanded its territory across the Galaxy, it came into contact with the Arachnid Species covering an area of it. The Federation initially considered the Arachnids to be a less advanced civilization. However, to avoid conflict, the region of space the Arachnids had colonized was Quarantined to prevent any humans settling within it. Despite this, unofficial colonies were created on Arachnid planets, often ending in the Arachnid attacks of these poorly defended colonies leading to massacres, such as at Port Joe Smith.
Species[edit | edit source]
Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles[edit | edit source]
The Arachnids are an alien species that has conquered and colonized many planets across the galaxy. The Arachnids are first discovered on Pluto which led to a large battle against SICON forces. After The Pluto Campaign it was discovered that the Arachnids were actually an interstellar race covering much of the galaxy. It is also known that they will not stop their war against the humans until they are all destroyed.
Known species[edit | edit source]
Starship Troopers: Miniatures Game & The Role Playing Game[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The name "Arachnid", derived from "spider" in Greek, apparently originates from "Pseudo-Arachnids", the antagonist looking like giant spiders from the novel. However, none of the Arachnid species resembles a spider by far.
- The term "Arachnids" was originally an alternative name for the Pseudo-Arachnids in the Starship Troopers board wargame.
- In Starship Troopers: The Miniatures Game, the Arachnids are referred as Arachnid Empire.
- In the Miniatures Game, SICON Military Intelligence believes the Arachnid Empire is a bio-engineered race created to serve as the military of a different alien species, similar to the Zentraedi from Robotech.
- The Bugs from the Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles combines aspects of their novel and film incarnation. Like the former, they are extraterrestrial invaders, but as within film, they are neither "tool-makers" nor technologically advanced civilization. Instead, Arachnids directed their course of evolution to match technology advanced civilization possess and gain bio-mechanical traits in process. This can be shown in the case of Transport Bug that evolved to become Arachnids' equivalent of human starships.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
- Starship Troopers film universe
- Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles
- Starship Troopers: The Miniatures Game
- Starship Troopers: The Roleplaying Game